Sunday, November 5, 2017

Service People

I remember servicemen returning from Vietnam to face protesters angry at them. This was crazy; they were just doing their jobs. Fortunately, things have improved since then.

Now it seems many consider military service almost sacred.

Countries have always honored those who have died in military service. I've spent the past year in Germany and, visiting various cities, have seen memorials to soldiers of both World Wars. (Note: more common for WWII are memorials to the dead, which includes civilians.) So, even if a country loses a war, even if it was an unjust war, respect is given to those who die for their country. I'm not sure I understand all that goes into this, but it seems standard among developed nations.

There is much I appreciate about the military. In the US it is one of our most integrated institutions. I consider this a good thing (although I'm not sure everyone who holds the military in high esteem agrees). We even accept undocumented immigrants into the military, and there is talk of extending citizenship to those who have served in the armed forces—but only to them.

This is where I get confused. Those who have served our country in other ways don't get the same consideration. Teachers, farm workers, and roofers are somehow inferior to warriors. Why?

Being a soldier is risky. Combat is a dangerous occupation. But on the whole, there are other jobs more risky than military service. The fishing and logging industries top the list. Roofers are up there too. Farming is comparable, if not quite as dangerous. So why are those trained and conditioned to kill held in higher regard than those who grow the food we all need to live?

Does a farmer, teacher, carpenter, or waiter not work for his or her country? What exactly is so special about military service?

When I turned 18 in 1973, the lottery was still in place. My number was 2, so if the draft hadn't just ended I would have gone into the service. Instead, after high school I went to work on farms in Montana for two years before going to college. I think I was a little disappointed about not being required to go; it seemed sort of dangerous and exotic, and if drafted I wouldn't have to choose what was then a controversial option. Friends who were drafted said I should be glad I wasn't. At any rate, I learned a lot from the farmers I worked for and don't regret my decision.

I've read that my lack of service disqualifies me from having an opinion about many matters of the military. This strikes me as reasonable, within limits. Of course, in the US we get to voice our opinions whether we are qualified to hold them or not. Many even voice the opinion that highly qualified people, such as scientists, don't know what they are talking about. I guess that's the price we pay for democracy.

Instead of an opinion, I offer only my questions. Why are soldiers special?

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering the same thing. We just flew out of San Diego, a big military town. Two young men who had just graduated from Marine boot camp were on our flight. They were given extra special treatment and two ovations. It just seemed weird, and I felt that there were probably many more people in the line who deserved even better treatment. So I have the same question, Tim. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks teachers and farmers are as vital to our national health as soldiers. Nothing against the soldiers, but I don't get the adulation.

      Delete

Your thoughts are welcome! I'll try not to flinch if there are nasty ones, which I understand are fairly common nowadays.