Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Moderate

It's possible that the Montana farmer who taught me that Nixon was a crook will this year vote for Mr Trump. I hope not, but I'm aware that many red-state residents don't share my view. Some Democrats and independents blame support of Trump on stupidity. But I don't buy it.

There is an almost admirable solidarity among DC Republicans. Their fundamental aim: defend this president, no matter what. This fealty now defines the Republican party, which has no choice and no voice but that which exalts this person whom many of them formerly reviled (and possibly still do).

Some people always loved him. I'm not talking to them. I'm talking to moderates.

At one time, no moderate could stomach the guy. Some now appear to. There are whispers among formerly moderate Republicans in Congress that they wish they didn't have to, but believe they must, support him. And they ask their constituents for the same support, come what may.

What's to be done if you are a moderate Republican voter? Those Left-wing Liberal Democrats will ruin the country! (At least that's what a letter accompanying a "census form" I got from RNC Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel says.) So you hold your nose, and push the R button.

Is this your only option? No, it's not. You could decline to cast a vote for president. Or you could write in the name of someone you admire.

Or you could vote Democrat. Or become one.

In 2018, Democrats who won the House of Representative were mostly moderates. They campaigned on issues that matter to most people, and they beat a lot of Republican candidates whose only platform was obeisance to the big man.

We hear complaints about how far left Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is. She represents her district, as she ought to, but she doesn't represent districts in middle America. She doesn't have to. We aren't from her district. We have other perspectives and other priorities. And Democrat candidates in our districts listen to us. Not on every one of our issues, perhaps, but on most.

Yes, I know Republicans keep saying it's the Democrats who lie and cheat. So I encourage you to do your research. You'll find just how natural lying now comes to Ms McDaniel and other Republicans, who follow the leader. You'll find some Democrats you don't like, and some you do. This is the new face of the Democratic party—out of necessity, we've become a coalition.

I'm talking to the farmers, carpenters, hunters, loggers, machinists, and pro-life voters I grew up with, worked with, and live with. I know you have been loyal Republicans, but you never bought into a cult. You never defended such wholesale self-interest by the man in power as Republicans have now committed to. I cannot bring myself to believe you have changed that much.

Can someone be a moderate in the US today and still be a Republican? If so, I must have forgotten what a moderate is. Moderation never used to include a blind following of a self-serving boss who cannot or, worse, refuses to stop lying to us. And, of course, it's not just him. Republicans have been gradually transforming for years. It's understandable if you didn't notice. But now you must.

While Republicans have been moving further and further right, so have some Democrats. They've been filling the gap. We've got a few hard-liners of our own, mind you, but most are open to discussion. The one from your district represents you. You hear propaganda to the contrary. Don't buy it.

I learned from you how to call bullshit what it is. I know you know how to figure this out.

Check us out. We're not perfect. But we're OK.


It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry.
    -Thomas Paine

1 comment:

  1. Excellent read! I for one, have always researched the propaganda BS our government spits out. I will not agree with anything that is immoral, unethical or vindictive our government promotes. I believe only the government officials that protect humanity and promote faith as our saving grace.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcome! I'll try not to flinch if there are nasty ones, which I understand are fairly common nowadays.