Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Reaction

I owe my family and friends an explanation for my reaction to the election. I have been angry. I haven't been able to sleep. Typically a bit dozey at work in the early afternoons, I've been wide awake. Adrenalin is quite the upper.

Unlike a lot of people I know, I always thought Trump could win. Early in the primaries, I had supper with a couple of German colleagues who asked if Trump could possibly be elected. I banged my head on the table and said yes. Unfortunately, yes.

I followed Nate Silver, and always thought Trump's chances were much higher than they ought to be. But I also thought that in the end Hillary would prevail. I believed we wouldn't fall for the flim-flam. Trump's lies and behavior were so outrageous, that surely a reasonable America would reject him and all he stood for. But we didn't. We aren't reasonable.

We will always have an element in America that openly loves to hate. I don't really blame them. I don't think their voices will be all that loud for all that long. They'll get just loud enough that there will be a strong reaction, a blaming of Trump, and then he'll step in and clamp down on them proving his detractors wrong and assuring the rest that he's really not that way. (Big man manipulation tactics 101.)

Trump's appeal to the disenfranchised is clear. It was to be expected. And I get that the middle class resents paying extra for the lower class. (Never mind that the richest pay a lower percentage. That's why they are called the privileged class.)

And I don't anticipate Armageddon. The slow steady growth of our economy over the past seven years is just what we needed. No flair, no bubbles, just easy she goes and a solid foundation. Trump may even be able to get some decent policies enacted. I don't expect much from the playground bully in the principal's office, but there's always the teachers and the school secretary.

I am not cutting off my relationships with family and friends. Many of you are Republicans whom I respect and admire. We don't always agree, but we disagree for the right reason: we want what is best. Some of you could not bring yourselves to vote for Trump in spite of being Republicans (thank you). Some of you didn't think all that much about it. Some of you said, well my pastor and Franklin Graham and James Dobson and Jerry Falwell and Ben Carson told me to vote for him.

And this is where I get really pissed. My anger is at the white evangelical church. More specifically, at their leaders who said Donald Trump was their man and God's man. 

This church has said that a pathological liar and an unrepentant racist is what is good for this country. They believe a leech who brags about not paying his share will bring fiscal responsibility. A man who would sleep with their wives and grab their daughters crotches (provided they were pretty enough) and boast about it afterwards should represent us to the world.

Truly they have their reward.

Some have tried to weasel out of it by saying they weren't voting for that. But they did vote for that. They told us to vote for that. The world was watching, and the church said this despicable, hateful man is our man. He is who we want. The church, after being willing to impose their version of morality on others, has said this is our morality. Give us Barabbas. 

My whole life I've defended the church. I've given evangelicals a pass on their close mindedness. I don't think I can or ever will again. I was part of the problem by letting the church get away without living the Gospel. So I'm angry at myself as well. But I will never again count myself among evangelicals.

And I strongly advise white evangelicals not to make any moral pronouncements within earshot.

I could go on. But it has been said better by Brandi Miller, who by gender and race is more qualified than I am. What more can we say?

11 comments:

  1. I feel you! am so relieved that my church (at least the vocal ones) and my Minister are on the same page as you. But I had this same conversation with my mother who was (thank God) a #NeverTrump. I told her how angry I am at evangelical America; how betrayed I feel. So many of my family and childhood friends not only voted for him but are celebrating his win. My heart breaks! My church, however, is giving me nothing but hope. We all mourn together and plan on how to love more and more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. My church too has been a haven. I discussed the election with my parents, and I suspect they cast their vote for Trump. It's part of what makes me so upset. I do not understand how they could endorse what they taught their children not to be.

      Delete
  2. Let us remember that our hope is not in any Supreme Court jurist, bureaucrat, or politician. Nobody who aspires to lead is worthy to do so. We elected a president, not a preacher. For most Evangelicals, Trump was the LAST Republican we wanted. Frankly, I voted against Mrs. Clinton, not for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, He may have been the last Republican choice. He should have been the last choice, period. I cannot conceive of a Christ-informed worldview that says otherwise. And, yes, I am admitting my ignorance on this matter. Enlighten me.

      Delete
  3. I am so saddened and appalled by my "Christian: friends who could vote for a person of Trump's ilk. Hillary Clinton is not perfect, but far, far, better for the USA and the world. What have the so-called evangelical christians done? They make me ashamed to be identified with them. I am a white, senior citizen, a committed Christian and voted for Hillary Clinton. The Trumpsters among my friends make me feel like a traitor when really it is they who are the traitors.,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand it either. Engage them, hard as this may be. Ask them to explain what you should be ashamed of. You shouldn't be. They are the ones who've got some 'splaining to do.

      Delete
  4. If, and they did, the Church could survive under Nero and worse, it will survive now regardless who is in power. The Word tells us that we are to pray for them and remember God is always in control. If you believe the Book - He - we- win in the end. The way you live your life right now is the only thing that counts. Many Christians get sidetracked from worshiping only God and begin idolizing the 'Church'. Keep your eyes focused on Jesus and what He teaches and you will be happy whatever the circumstance. Be blessed - (:>}) - Brother Cj

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed. The church will survive. I dare say I am hoping white evangelicalism as it has revealed itself to be does not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. American evangelicalism, such as it is, is more of a ethnic political entity than religious. The term has been purloined because of its effectiveness in obtaining political power. This election has served to complete my disdain for White American Evangelicalism, it seems to be void of evangelicalism. I like and agree with Richard Rohr's tweet on Trumpism:

    "The evangelical support of Trump will be an indictment against its validity as a Christian movement for generations to come." - Richard Rohr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm stealing that word, just like evangelicals stole their title...

      Delete

Your thoughts are welcome! I'll try not to flinch if there are nasty ones, which I understand are fairly common nowadays.