Wednesday, September 21, 2016

The True Believer

I'm reading Eric Hoffer's classic book on fanatics. Today I came across this:
...we find a new freedom--freedom to hate, bully, torture, murder, and betray without shame and remorse. Herein undoubtedly lies part of the attractiveness of a mass movement. We find there the "right to dishonour," which according to Dostoyevsky has an irresistible fascination.
Is this part of what drives the attractiveness of Trump? I would say, well, not murder surely. But he brags that he could get away with it (in the eyes of his fans). And his father often reminded him and his brother "You are kings and killers." He even advocates torture. And he is incapable of remorse.

His appeal is not so much in that he exemplifies these new freedoms, but that we can share in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcome! I'll try not to flinch if there are nasty ones, which I understand are fairly common nowadays.