Saturday, November 19, 2016

Action

So, now what?

I for one have never been so motivated. So what should we do? I don't know, frankly, but I've got some ideas. What are yours?

I had a discussion with a college student friend who said posting comments on Facebook wasn't effective. He aims to start working at an immigrant center. Bravo!

At work we would call this a time to brainstorm. There are no bad ideas at this stage. Everything is a possibility. Later we can look at our options and pick the ones that seem most likely to have an effect.

Here's my list of things we can try.

Admit ignorance. We have been outfoxed. It will happen again. We obviously aren't experts at this game. So change the game. Ask questions. Demand explanations with substance. Steve Bannon, Trump's propaganda vizier, likes to brag he's smarter than most. He is. All we've got is truth. Let's use that.

Protest nonviolently. Every bit of violence in protest against Trump will be amplified by Bannon while he ignores or justifies violence that serves him. Don't give him ammunition, tempting as it is. Protest something specific. Protesting Bannon is a good place to start. Let's expose him for what he is. Make him a bigger liability to Trump than he is an asset.

Engage those you know who voted for Trump. A lot of us would just as soon avoid family gatherings or get-togethers with some of our old friends. Give yourself time, but then engage. Try to understand where they are coming from and ask questions. Why do you feel this way? What made you like Trump over Clinton? What on God's green earth were you thinking!? OK, not this last one in this way. But let them know how disillusioned you are with a moral platform that endorses this paragon of immorality. Let them know why you are happy to walk away from it.

Support justice and truth. Contribute to SPLC, or the justice organization of your choice.

Join and challenge Democrats. The party is smarting and rethinking. Let's be part of the redefining. They can and should expand their platform to better include exvangelicals. If your political bent won't permit you to join the Democratic Party, start a new one. Truth and Justice Party.

Love your neighbor. I'm a privileged white male. If I'm not looking out for those who really have something to lose from this national choice, I'm not doing my job. Stand with those who so legitimately feel threatened. (And tell me how to do that better.)

Demand an accounting. Speak out against the hypocrisy of white evangelical leaders. If Matthew 23 wasn't written for them, let them explain why not.

Listen to other prophets. White male evangelical leaders have failed us. Listen to other voices: women and minorities. These are some who inspire me: Rachel Held Evans, Brandi Miller, Nadia Boltz-Weber, Yolanda Pierce. Who am I missing? Let me know. Quit listening to people like me and listen to people like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcome! I'll try not to flinch if there are nasty ones, which I understand are fairly common nowadays.