Friday, July 22, 2016

Politically correct

Why are some people so angry about political correctness? Last night we heard (OK, in my case, heard about) a speech in which political correctness was blamed for being what's wrong with America. I'm guessing the speaker and others angered by political correctness have a different definition from the one I'm familiar with.

Merriam-Webster says political correctness is a belief that folks should try not to offend others.

I understand people who don't want to curb their words, opinions, or actions. They have always been around, and always will be. They're the real bad-asses, maybe. As someone who is socially on the timid side, I've had a certain admiration for bad boys. But as for being offended, I haven't seen the bad ass get angry about someone being nice. They say what they want how they want to say it, and the consequences be damned. OK. It makes them stand out, gives them an edge in ways. But to be pissed because other people don't want to be offensive? That's weird. A bad ass doesn't insist on everyone else being a bad ass, does he?

OK, there's more to it. Not only do politically correct people try to be nice, they expect others to be nice. That's just not nice. Perhaps, it's even politically incorrect. So everyone should be happy, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcome! I'll try not to flinch if there are nasty ones, which I understand are fairly common nowadays.