Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Absolutely

There are those annual lists of words to be banned. I propose banning the word "absolutely."

So little in this world is absolute, yet we throw this word around with abandon. Are you going to see a movie? Absolutely. Is your marriage happy? Absolutely. Is your dog smart? Absolutely.

One can be pretty sure about seeing a movie, but why would you emphasize it by declaring there is no chance of failing to see it. What marriage is absolutely happy? What exactly is an absolutely smart dog?

What's wrong with "yes"?

I was at a restaurant the other day and the waitress responded to each order with "absolutely." Huh?

Some of the people I love most dearly use this term frequently. And I have a rule of thumb: don't edit people's speech. But I sigh silently or grimace slightly when I hear it.

I believe in absolutes, but precious few. The truly absolute is sacred. Let's not take its name in vain.

So whaddya say we add this to word to the banned list? Absolutely.

1 comment:

  1. I found that absolutely did make the LSSU list this year and seven years ago, in 2007. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcome! I'll try not to flinch if there are nasty ones, which I understand are fairly common nowadays.