Saturday, December 1, 2018

Tweets

I've heard Trump supporters say "I could do without his tweets" or "I wish he tweeted less." I don't know what that means. Is it like someone keeps calling and you wish they would stop? Or are you talking about content?

There's nothing wrong with Twitter in itself. Tweeting is another way to communicate, and it has a distinct advantage: it limits how much you can say. But it doesn't limit what you say. If you have a problem with twitter, don't blame the medium; blame those using it.

I signed up ten years ago for a Twitter account, but I didn't understand it or use it. Eventually, though, missing Blue Dot for bookmarking, I started to use Twitter as a bookmarking tool. It's not great for that, but it's workable and accessible.

As with most tools I use, I still don't understand how to use Twitter to its potential, but I have rules for how I do use it. Mostly, I follow these rules.
  • Bookmarking: I read a lot of online articles that I might want to find back someday. I might want to reread one or recommend it to a friend. A tweet records the URL of the article and recommends it to followers at the same time. (I don't have many followers, so mostly this is for myself.)
  • Summarizing: I try to select a quote from the article that sums up either its theme or the point I want to remember. Some articles get a single tweet, others demand several.
  • Support: a single voice isn't much, but a lot of voices can make a difference. If one of the people I follow writes something I agree with, I click the heart icon. Sometimes I retweet. Typically, I don't support tweets with profanity (but I make exceptions).
  • Endorsement: If a tweet includes a link to an article, I normally do not retweet or like it unless I have read the article and agree it is worth spreading.
  • Mouthing off: Some tweets exasperate me. My response, typically a comment, is sarcastic or caustic. I try to limit this use, but sometimes can't help myself.
  • Challenging: If someone tweets a falsehood, I try to set them straight. I know this is mostly useless, since people tend to believe what they want and not what is true.
I'd like to learn more about Twitter. I don't use hashtags, for example, and feel like I'm missing out. A work acquaintance uses Twitter as a sort of quick-response list serve for tools and technologies that she uses. I never quite figured that out but, then again, I haven't really spent much time trying. I'm not a teacher but I'm also intrigued by Twitter's potential in the classroom.

I don't follow many people. I see that others follow thousands of people, and I don't understand how that works. As it is, I miss tweets from the few dozen that I do follow. If the condition for following hundreds of people is that I have to be constantly checking Twitter, well then, that's out. But I'd like to better understand just what it means for other users to follow someone.

Sometimes Twitter lists people it thinks I might want to follow. This is OK, though I almost never do follow their suggestions. I'm annoyed at tweets that are in my feed not because someone I follow liked or retweeted them, but because one or more of them follow the person who tweeted. I'll pick whose tweets I want to read, thank you.

I'm also annoyed that I can't edit tweets. I suppose it would confuse things, since now you would have two or more timestamps for when a tweet was "posted." But it would be easy enough to mark a tweet as edited, and make it possible to see the time (and possibly the content) of the edit. It's not a big deal for me, because there isn't much activity on my tweets. If there were, it could be awkward to delete a tweet and repost a corrected version, which is what I sometimes do now.

I don't like tweets with a URL and no information about what is there. I don't even know how to do that. Usually, Twitter automatically shows the headline and a picture or the first words from the article.

I like tweets that point to articles. Depending on who it is from, or what the article is about, it's a nice way to get recommendations on what to read. I get some excellent article recommendations through Twitter that I probably wouldn't otherwise read. For example, I recently came across an article by Elizabeth Baker, a white, straight, suburban Christian mom  who says "social media, specifically Twitter, began to open my eyes and widen my world." Every evangelical (or dysangelical) should read her story.

If it's the content of Mr Trump's tweets that you don't like, you should wish that he didn't say such false, nasty, or stupid things. These tendencies are certainly not limited to his Twitter account.

Twitter can serve as a bullhorn for BS, to be sure. But it can also be a useful tool for communicating.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tim. It's been a long time. Hope you are well. You probably know this but another use of Twitter: tweet about your blog. You can try to enlarge your audience. In these tweets, use hashtags and make mentions to draw readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joe! Thanks. I occasionally tweet about my blog--when I have a new post or in response to a tweet that I think one of my posts speaks to. I do see traffic go on my blog go up when I do that. Actually, posting a link on Facebook gets more traffic than tweeting. But I limit that to posts that may be of general interest, rather than those venting my exasperation with Voldemort.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcome! I'll try not to flinch if there are nasty ones, which I understand are fairly common nowadays.