Thursday, February 23, 2017

America First

The theme of Trump's inauguration speech was nothing new. I remember reading something from the US Department of State years ago that said the whole purpose of diplomacy was to benefit the US. I asked a friend who worked for the State Dept. about this, and he confirmed and defended this goal.

If you read the State Dept.'s mission statement now, it is more cordial and gracious than a blunt America First theme. You can find it buried under the Bureau of Budget and Planning:
The Department's mission is to shape and sustain a peaceful, prosperous, just, and democratic world and foster conditions for stability and progress for the benefit of the American people and people everywhere.
In these days of crass yowling and snide superiority complexes, I find that statement encouraging. Being a good neighbor is the best way to gain good neighbors. I prefer to think of American diplomacy in these terms.

The question is whether Trump is interested in America first. I suspect not. Assuming stability is generally a good thing, I can't help but wonder what he is thinking. But I find one perspective consistent:
There you go again, just being negative, you say. OK, perhaps that is my bias. I think I know a way that I can be proved wrong.

Trump campaigned against corruption. Never mind that the cheater is the one most likely to suspect others of cheating, let's just take him at his word that he opposes corruption. Corruption is the abuse of entrusted power for private gain.

Trump has also refused to release his tax returns. One of his reasons is that we aren't interested in them. I have to say, I'm not particularly interested in going through his lengthy returns. There may be accountants who are. What I want is a baseline.

We cannot know whether Trump uses his position for private gain, unless we know where he started. Then we can compare that to his financial standing in later years. If you believe Trump is guileless and would not use the presidency for personal gain, then here is a way to prove you are right! You get the chance to tell me and other skeptics, I told you so.

And I would happily let you do that. You know that phenomenon of how being watched, even the illusion of being watched, affects one's behavior? I'll privately chalk it up to that but I'll heartily agree with you that I had it wrong.

A lot of us who are not fond of Trump are requesting his tax returns. We haven't made a lot of progress, but if his supporters tell him they also want them, it could make a difference. 

I can't think of any reason why someone (other than Trump) would be against the release of his tax returns. If you are against that, can you let me know your reasons? Here is an opportunity for Trump to show the American people that he really is for America first, and not Trump first. Here is an opportunity for his supporters to show the rest of us how much integrity he really has.

I have heard kleptocrats before, and speeches coming from the White House these days sound pretty familiar. But I could be wrong. Let's find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcome! I'll try not to flinch if there are nasty ones, which I understand are fairly common nowadays.