Tuesday, November 21, 2023

An Exemplary President

I remember thinking that the problem with Liberian politicians was that they weren't more like ones in America. Ours trusted our constitution, accepted free and fair elections, believed in the peaceful transition of power.

I was young and naive.

I am no longer young.

Perhaps my current enthusiasm and optimism for Liberia is evidence of lingering naivete. But I am overjoyed that President George Weah had the courage, patriotism, and good sense to concede a close election. It was not what many Liberians expected, given the history of their country and that of other African countries. 

Reuters reported President Weah's concession:

"A few moments ago, I spoke with president elect Joseph Boakai to congratulate him on his victory," Weah said on national radio. "I urge you to follow my example and accept the results of the elections."

His comments stood out in West and Central Africa where there have been eight military coups in three years, eroding faith in democratic elections.

Meanwhile, back in the US of A, a 77-year-old incumbent and would-be "big man" who lost an election 3 years ago by a considerably larger margin than Weah whines on about how he won all 50 states. He vows vicious revenge and calls those of us who voted against him "vermin."  I'm reminded of Hotel Rwanda; the label "cockroach" was a precursor to the brutal slaughter of Tutsis.

The worst of African politics seems to be finding a home here in America, while an African politician demonstrates maturity. Maybe the problem with American politicians is that they aren't more like one in Liberia.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcome! I'll try not to flinch if there are nasty ones, which I understand are fairly common nowadays.