Saturday, July 6, 2019

Independent

This week, on the 4th of July, Justin Amash declared his independence. He had already proven himself a maverick by daring to buck party hall. He actually read the Mueller report and came to a reasoned conclusion that there are grounds to impeach our president. He then had the audacity to voice his opinion.

His moneyed, till-now supporters, such as the DeVoses and Meijers, took his stand as intolerable and immediately distanced themselves from him. Ah, the price of a conscience.

I was grateful to hear my congressman voice his honest opinion about a serious matter, despite the backlash he knew would come. He decided that principle is worth risking his position for. This is rare among humans and even more rare among politicians. And his courage has gotten me thinking about my own positions.

Libertarian Amash is toward the right of what used to be the Republican Party. He has argued for small government, thought Obama took too much control, and then stayed consistent when the next president took it farther. Frankly, I haven't agreed with many of his positions and policies. But now I'm wondering whether to support him in the next election.

Amash's assessment is that our two-party system is broken. He may be right. Or his view may be exaggerated by the pain of watching the party he loves become unlovable (not to mention unloving). I dare say the Democratic Party is far broader than the ever-shrinking, ever-narrowing Republicans but it would do well to continue to expand its coalition rather than become more partisan.

As a Democrat, I welcome inclusiveness, just as, as a Christian, I abhor exclusion. The debate between the broad variety of perspectives that make up the Democratic Party is good music, except when it becomes rancorous (and rancor is today's political currency). But I don't think the party can expand enough to include Justin Amash's Tea Party perspectives.

So should I as a Democrat vote for Justin Amash as an Independent? I think so.

His courage, principle, and honesty are virtues that all sides should appreciate. Right now, these may be of even more value to American democracy than policy. When he tempers my party's policies with his bona fide conservatism, we know we can trust him.

If a wave of disgruntled Republicans, appreciative Democrats, and fed-up independents vote him back into office, I will celebrate.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks man... I'm with you. Compare the current USA 2- party messto Canada's multiparty system... we need to try this here!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcome! I'll try not to flinch if there are nasty ones, which I understand are fairly common nowadays.